After being accepted to NNU, students wishing to pursue a baccalaureate degree in nursing must meet the additional requirements for acceptance into the nursing program found below.
It is recommended that students attend the transfer nursing student information session or meet with the pre-nursing advisor.
The timeline for the admission process has changed. Please read and review the updated Admission Packet carefully to be aware of these changes. It is the applicants responsibility to know and understand all admission requirements.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 in the following prerequisites
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I + lab
- Human Anatomy & Physiology II + lab
- Principles of Organic & Biochemistry + lab*
- Introduction to Psychology
- University Writing & Research
- Introduction to Cultural Anthropology+
- Medical Terminology
- Intro to the Profession of Nursing
- Apply and be accepted to Northwest Nazarene University Undergraduate Admission before submitting an application to the Department of Nursing Pre-licensure Program.
- All applicants should be advised by the pre-nursing advisor to review the prerequisites and GPA requirements before submitting an Application for Admission to the Department of Nursing Pre-Licensure Program. On campus students will receive this information in NURS1000. Transfer student information sessions are scheduled monthly.
- Submit online Application for Admission to the Department of Nursing Pre-licensure Program (Currently Closed).
- Minimum grade of "C" in prerequisite courses listed above.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 (based on Department of Nursing Plan of Study-prerequisite courses or equivalents).
- Meet designated requirements of a standardized test.
- Interview with member of the BSN Program. Students must pass the interview for entry into the nursing program.
- Meet health requirements.
*One semester of General Chemistry is required for entrance into the nursing program; Organic/ Biochemistry is preferred.
+For transfer students, the Department of Nursing will accept either an Introduction to Sociology course or an Introduction to Cultural Anthropology course.
Submission of Application
Completed Application Due: February 15, 2019 by 5:00 pm for Fall 2019 acceptance.
Acceptance Letter Sent to Student: June 1st
All completed applications will be reviewed by the BSN Program Admission and Progression Committee. All qualified applicants will be eligible based on the following:
- GPA of required prerequisites
- Score of the standardized exam
- Completion of prerequisite courses at NNU
Admission to the BSN program is not guaranteed. If a student who is selected for admission forfeits the opportunity to enter the program, then the next qualified applicant in the ranking will be given the entry option.
A student must receive a combined score (points from the interview, points from the standardized exam, and GPA points) of at least 45 to be considered for ranking for admission to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
Grade Point Average of Nursing Pre-requisite Courses
A minimum GPA of 3.0 must be obtained in order to be considered for ranking in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. The BSN Program will not accept a pass/fail on prerequisite courses - all courses must have a letter grade. Points are assigned for the CLEP and AP test scores. A transcript from CLEP and/or the AP Board are required for evaluation. Please call the nursing office (467-8650) for more information
Interview with Admission and Progression Committee
Students will be required to meet with members of the BSN Program in February & March. Students submitting the application will be notified of available dates. Up to 15 points will be given to students that complete the interview process. These points will be added into the combined total for ranking. Students must pass the interview for entry into the nursing program. Students receiving less than 10 points on the interview will be reviewed by the Admission and Progression Committee. Students who do not pass the interview, will be notified in early April. The BSN Program will not disclose results or details from the interview.
NNU students will receive preference for admission. This preference is only available to students who have already met the eligibility requirement of at least 45 points from the standardized exam, GPA of required prerequisites and the interview. Students that complete 12 credits at NNU will receive 5 additional points; those students completing 100% of prerequisite courses at NNU will receive 10 additional points. For students with the same overall score, preference will be given to the NNU student.
Upon receiving the notification of acceptance to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, students will be admitted conditionally pursuant to the results of their background check. Students desiring to enter in the fall semester must complete all clinical requirements before the designated deadline or forfeit the opportunity to enter the program. Routine NNU registration procedures must be