Close

Update from the Department Head

Published on Mar 27, 2015.
The first signs of spring are here and that means graduation, pinning and alumni reunions are just around the corner. I love Pinning as an event because it is all about nursing and what nursing represents. Please join us for this event if you are free, May 8 at 1 p.m.

It has been a busy and fruitful year and we have plans for an even greater one next year. Most importantly, October 21-23 is when we will have CCNE site visitors on campus for an all programs accreditation. Gearing up for this is a lot of work but I keep telling my colleagues that it helps to keep us focused and honest as we strive to maintain the rigor and character of the nursing program. We would like your help in this as we will be hosting an alumni meal for you to meet the site visitors so that they can hear firsthand, the stories of your journey through the program. If you would like to be included, please contact Lisa at 467-8650.

We also are pleased to announce that we will be bringing an FNP Director on board in fall 2015 in preparation for our first intake of students in fall 2016. This is exciting and terrifying all at the same time but I know in keeping with our tradition, we will be blessed with great faculty, excellent students and a program that will stand the test of time. Watch this space next time for an introduction of our new director.

I am sitting at my desk and I am able to see the group photos hanging on the wall outside my office that span the last decade or more and it brings such pride, joy and peace knowing that we have so many wonderful nurses out there. We need you to be our champions in the community, to extol the benefits of the program not just academically but relationally. Over the years we have developed long term relationships and friendships with so many of you but we would like to connect with more of you. So, if you know nursing friends who are not connected in this email blast please contact us so that we can reach out to them and reconnect.

We maintain great NCLEX scores and we have a great number of applicants for the new year. I have to ask myself, what does a good NNU nursing student look like? What should we look for in an applicant? If you have ideas to help us make worthy selections please feel free to email me at balester@nnu.edu.
Finally as I write this, a group of nine nursing students and two faculty, Bonnie Zaroban and Jane Weis are winging their way to Costa Rica for spring break. We have such a great time of discovery planned for them. Please pray for safe travels and that they keep well and embrace this wonderful opportunity.

God bless, 
Barbara                                        

About the Department

The Department of Nursing at Northwest Nazarene University provides undergraduate, degree completion and graduate programs related to the professional field of nursing. We are nationally accredited and offer programs that can meet the needs of students in a wide variety of settings.